What I've learned from being a patient


I have always been fascinated by the human body and interested in health and wellbeing. Coupled with my desire to help people and have a rewarding job, I've known I wanted to be an Osteopath since I was fourteen years old! However, halfway through my degree to become an Osteopath, I received an important lesson by becoming a patient myself.

I was diagnosed with a chronic health condition called Psoriatic Arthritis (similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis, which I was originally diagnosed with). When I first experienced symptoms, it was a scary and confusing time. During the final two years of my studies, I juggled my health problems, different treatments and my course. Throughout it all I was determined to learn from the experience and work around my condition to pursue the career I'd always dreamed of.


The Naturopathic Triad shows the three aspects of wellbeing.

Over the past few years I have totally overhauled my life with diet changes, exercise, hands-on treatment and lifestyle changes. I am thrilled to be able to say I've reached a point where I manage my condition without any medication and experience little to no symptoms. If I do experience symptoms, I can almost always pinpoint the trigger and then fix it.

Throughout this experience as a patient, I've learned so much about health and wellness that no degree could teach you. It's strengthened my passion in Osteopathy and Naturopathy and made me more determined than ever to help people with their journey to better health. Some really important lessons I've learned can help anyone, whether you have a chronic health condition or not. I hope these tips help you!

You're in charge of your health.

Firstly, you're in charge of your health. There is no better person to judge your health than you, because you know your body. I've written in the past about increasing your body awareness (read here) and that can be very useful in order to identify areas you want to improve, then find the team you need to help you do so. Whether you have physical pain that you need an Osteopath to help with or an acute illness that you need to see your GP for, you call the shots! This team of healthcare professionals will change over time as you resolve some areas and make more changes, so don't be afraid to change.



Be proactive.

The more proactive you are and involved in your health, the better. We have to always make little changes and maintain them in order to improve our health. Don't make it a chore, self-care should be an enjoyable aspect of our lives. I know that if I don't exercise regularly, my muscles get weaker and put strain on my joints. If I eat the wrong foods I can trigger an inflammatory reaction and get joint pain. I'm always striving towards better health and trying to understand my body more.

Keep a symptom and diet diary if you have lots of little, seemingly random symptoms. This not only keeps track of symptoms over time for when you next see a health professional, but can also reveal patterns that can be hard to spot.

Google is actually your friend and your doctor's too! Often patients come to me and say "oh I know I shouldn't, but I looked on google and I think it could be..." This is great news! Used wisely, internet searching can bring up information and join dots that may not have happened otherwise. Just be sure to use reputable sources and double check information if needed. Also, be wary not to read the horror stories and worst case scenarios. A late-night google search of what could just be cold symptoms can keep you up for hours worrying it's much more sinister, so use with caution!

Find supportive family and friends.

The people around you matter greatly and everyone needs support when making even small habit changes to improve their health. Why not team up with someone to both make changes so you can provide each other with encouragement?

Online support groups can be a lifeline when you want to talk to people who truly understand what you're going through. I've met some of my best friends this way! We can share our problems, get advice and, most importantly, share our successes and achievements too.



Medical problems can be overwhelming.

Friends and family can also provide great moral support if you feel overwhelmed by a health problem. Take someone to your medical appointments for support, but also as a second pair of ears. You often receive lots of information in an appointment, so this can be beneficial as well as writing anything down that you need to remember. Similarly, prepare a list of questions before hand so you know you cover everything you wanted to.

Be patient.

Everyone can make improvements to their health at any time, because no one is perfect! Be patient with your health and remember that long-term changes build up to give big, long-term benefits. Find what is right for you and keep on striving. There will always be set backs, illnesses and injuries, just be kind to yourself and ask "what does my body or mind need right now?" Always bring it back to what you need and don't give up.

Everyone is different.

Don't compare yourself to others. We're all built differently, live different lives, enjoy different activities and therefore what works for you won't work for someone else. No one knows your body like you do, so trust yourself and your instincts. This is why finding that team of health professionals that will listen to you and work with you is so important.

'Health' isn't simply the absence of disease.

Finally, I'll leave you with one of my favourite quotes, the World Health Organisation's definition of health.



You want to live a vibrant, happy life. It's not simply about not having an illness. We can all strive for an improvement in our health, even from a different starting point.



Zoë Clark is a registered osteopath trained at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine in London.
Practicing in Howe near Norwich (01508 558373) and Burston, neat Diss (07543 557746).

Comments

Popular Posts