Why I became an Osteopath


It’s always interesting finding out why people chose their career, or even how they fell into it accidentally! I’m quite lucky in that I discovered I wanted to be an Osteopath when I was about 14 years old. This meant I was able to pick my GCSEs and A-levels to suit my chosen career, but it did mean it felt like a long time before I even started my course, let alone qualified as an Osteopath!

I’ve always been interested in science, the human body and medicine in general. It was when I accompanied my Mum to one of her Osteopathy appointments for back pain that I discovered my ideal mix of those subjects. I was instantly fascinated how someone could just use their hands to improve my Mum’s back pain so much, especially because it had been severe for quite a while.


Another reason I was drawn in, was the fact that Osteopaths have time to really get to know their patients and see them from day one, when they can be in lots of pain, to the point where they’re fully fit and not needing their Osteopath anymore. It felt like a really nurturing role, but also a big responsibility. I liked that I would have the potential to really change people’s lives for the better.

I think if you asked any Osteopath why they chose their career, 99% would say to help people in pain, but it really is true! It’s a real privilege to be trusted by people when they’re in a lot of pain. Helping someone through what is often the most traumatic stage of their life, to being back to their normal self, is really amazing.


Before training I had Osteopathic treatment myself for a hip problem and experienced such an improvement after a few gentle sessions. I now regularly have sessions with a colleague to help with symptoms I get from hypermobility and a type of inflammatory arthritis. I’m really passionate about spreading the word about Osteopathy, because often people with chronic pain conditions like mine can be worried about having any kind of hands-on treatment in case it flares their symptoms up. I find Osteopathy works really well alongside conventional medical treatments to manage my symptoms and I treat many patients who find the same. Osteopathy isn’t a cure and it isn’t a replacement for other medical treatments and advice, but it can be really helpful.


Every day I’m reminded why I became an Osteopath…

Whenever someone jumps off the couch in a lot less pain than when they got on.

When someone is walking straighter and without fear of pain.

When someone returns to work, their hobbies and spending time with loved ones.


It’s not just easing physical symptoms, it has a huge impact on mental health as well. Injuries and pain can be debilitating, restricting your activities and your ability to connect with others. By easing physical symptoms and providing hope, people really can get their lives back.

The beauty of Osteopathy is that we recognise everyone is born differently, everyone has different experiences and therefore there’s no such thing as ‘normal’. We all have our own normal. My job is to find out what your ‘normal’ is and return you to that... or better! It also depends on what you want to be able to do, we all have different interests and aims. Osteopathy helps your body keep up with those aspirations.


I know from experience that we often take our body for granted, until something goes wrong. I love being able to teach people about their general health and ways to improve and manage their health long-term to stay strong and healthy. I’d much rather someone learnt to manage their health, rather than need to see me regularly.


My aims with Osteopathy...

I want to spread the word about Osteopathy as a great hands on treatment for aches, pains and various injuries.

I want people to think of their health all the time, not just when something goes wrong, and practice preventative healthcare.

I also really want to inspire people to look after themselves, not take anything for granted and celebrate daily all the things their body allows them to do.


I’m always happy to chat to anyone considering a career in Osteopathy, so if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in contact.


Zoë Clark is a registered osteopath trained at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine in London. Practicing in Howe near Norwich (01508 558373) and Diss (07543 557746), Norfolk.

Twitter @ZoeClarkOsteo
Facebook www.facebook.com/ZoeClarkOsteopathy
Instagram @zoetheosteo
www.zoeclarkosteopathy.co.uk 

Comments

Popular Posts