Osteopathy- not just 'clicking' backs!


My interest in osteopathy was sparked at a young age when I saw my Mum being treated for low back pain. The gentle treatment that gave such amazing effects, when nothing else had helped prior, got me thinking. I then had treatment myself which made me lucky enough at the age of about 14 to decide that I wanted to become an osteopath.

I completed a Masters degree in osteopathy at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine in London to be able to help people of all ages and all walks of life improve their health... and I love it! I could waffle on about osteopathy for hours, but the key message I want to share is what osteopathy is and how it can help you. We are most known for treating low back pain, but we can work on the whole body, treating bone, muscle and joint problems. It's much more than just 'clicking' backs!

What does treatment involve?

Treatment varies depending on the problem, but generally treatments include massage into the muscles, gentle joint movements (called mobilisations), muscle stretching and sometimes manipulations. The great thing about osteopathic treatment is that there is no set routine or treatment plan. We use our scientific knowledge and experience, but it’s all tailored to you, the patient, and your input is vital. We recognise that everyone is built differently and there is no such thing as ‘normal’ when it comes to the body.


Perhaps most importantly, osteopathy doesn’t aim to just remove symptoms, although that is often the priority in the short-term. We discuss your lifestyle, hobbies and general health to help form a plan to reach your goals. It's really important to look at other factors influencing the original problem you presented with, because altering those and suggesting changes such as exercises can prevent problems from reoccurring.

With the help of advice, you leave with the knowledge and tools to continue the improvement after the treatment and beyond. I’m enthusiastic about patients being as involved in their treatment as possible and the more you know about the problem, the better.

As you can tell, I’m very passionate about the many benefits of osteopathy. Why not experience it yourself? You never know, many people become osteopaths later in their careers after seeing an osteopath as a patient!


Zoë Clark is a registered osteopath trained at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine in London.

Practicing in Howe, near Norwich (01508 558373) and Burston, near Diss, Norfolk (07543 557746).


Share on social media below:

Comments

Popular Posts